St. Johns Cathedral
Piety of the Century
The Cathedral Church of Saint John The Evangelist is located at 4-8 Garden Road, Central, Hong Kong. It is The cathedral of the Anglican Diocese of Hong Kong Island.
On March 11, 1847, the foundation was laid by Sir John Francis Davis, Governor of Hong Kong. The construction was completed in 1849 and the first Sunday service began on March 11, 1847. It was consecrated by The Right Revd George Smith, Bishop of Victoria on 19 September 1852.
This cathedral is the first first cathedral church in the diocese because it has episcopal see inside. During the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong, it was used as a Japanese club. It is the oldest surviving Western ecclesiastical building in Hong Kong. It is also the only piece of freehold land granted in fee simple in Hong Kong.
The church is now declared a monument in Hong Kong. It is a protected cultural heritage and a tourist attraction with unique features and decorations.
In addition to the seats for bishops, canon and the deans, there are also pews for congregations left over from the British administration with the Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom. They were reserved for the Governor of Hong Kong or members of the British royal family when they passed through Hong Kong whenever services were provided. Before the handover of sovereignty to Hong Kong in 1997, the British flag was flown in the church, but has since been removed.
4-8 Garden Road, Central, Hong Kong
As the cathedral is a private place, please refer to the * services’ time of the church
|How to get there:
Method A – MTR: Take Exit D1 of Central MTR Station, proceed along Pedder Street to Queen’s Road Central, then turn right along Queen’s Road Central to Battery Path. The journey takes about 10 minutes.
Method B – Bus: Take bus no. 15C from the bus stop outside Central Pier 6 to the Garden Road Peak Tram Terminus in Central. Then, walk along Garden Road and you will arrive.
St. John’s Cathedral Bookstore, Hong Kong Park
Please try to avoid making too much noise in the church to avoid disturbing other visitors